Paleo-ish great easy recipe
This is an adaptation of a recipe from Men's Fitness October 2015 issue. It's a super healthy recipe with loads of protein, potassium, essential fatty acids, iron and lots of vitamins and minerals. I found this easy to make, especially as I have a strong 23 year old to cut up the butternut squash (I find that laborious - I told you I'm the original - lazy chef) but you can buy butternut squash cut up in the store these days. This version feeds 4-5 people.
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
2 T avocado oil
4 cups butternut squash, diced into 1-inch cubes
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 ¼ lb flank steak
3-4 tablespoons of Steak Mojo
1 large avocado, sliced
4 T goat cheese
- Add rinsed quinoa to 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Once boiling turn it down and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Using a large skillet on medium heat sauté the squash and 1 tablespoon of Steak Mojo in the olive oil for 10 to 12 minutes, or until squash is tender and the edges are lightly browned. You may need to increase the heat to medium high to brown the squash. Add the onion and continue to cook until the onion starts to caramelize.
- Sprinkle the flank steak with the rest of the Steak Mojo. In a separate pan on medium-high heat, sear steak for about 5 minutes per side (for a medium-rare steak). Let rest 5 minutes and then slice across the grain.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the squash and onions. Stir and allow the flavors to develop. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In another pan cook the eggs however you prefer.
- In separate bowls, add the squash-quinoa mixture.Top with avocado slices and steak slices, then add the egg and sprinkle with the goat cheese.